Monday, June 02, 2008

Venue recommended suppliers

How do venues choose the companies they list as "recommended suppliers", you might think they recommend them because they believe they are good at what they do. The reality comes down to money. The word recommended is misused in the majority of cases, in fact the venues charge the suppliers a fee (usually a percentage of whatever you pay the supplier).

In the past I have been approached by venues requesting between 10 to 20% of my fee for being a recommended supplier. The only venues and wedding planners who recommend me are those who do so because they like my work, I don't ever pay a fee to venues or wedding planners for recommendations. I strongly believe that referrals should be because you offer a great service or product and not because you are willing to pay a fee. This policy has lost me weddings in the past, but I'd rather have couples book me because they appreciate what I do.

I recently heard of one venue charging an extra fee if you choose to use a photographer who isn't on their recommended list. This is nothing short of a fine for not choosing a supplier who will pay a fee to the venue.

If a supplier is paying between 10 to 20% of their fee to a venue they are going to pass that cost onto the customer. It's you who ends up paying hundreds of pounds more for this arrangement.

No comments: