Sunday, December 23, 2007

Photography restrictions during the ceremony

I'm used to running into issues with taking photographs during the ceremony. Often with both civil and church ceremonies I am told that I'm unable to take any photographs at all.

But I was rather surprised when I turned up a recent church to be greeted by the vicar with "Are you the photographer?" on confirming I was indeed the photographer he added "I don't want you in my church".

While I sympathise to some extent as I know some photographers move about, take photographs during the prayers and use flash. I usually explain that I stay at the back, don't move around and don't ever use flash and use a camera with a quiet shutter. However this vicar told me it wasn't open to negotiation and he wasn't interested in talking to me about it despite the couple wanting to have a few photographs from the ceremony.

Unfortunately there is nothing I can do when presented with this situation and I find it frustrating watching the emotion of the ceremony without being able to photograph it. Earlier this year I blogged about registrars banning photography during civil ceremonies. Once again I have run into this on a few recent weddings.

Often they will also place restrictions on photographing the signing of the register, usually saying it's due to data protection (which is partly true but I'll explain exactly why later). I had one wonderful registrar tell me I couldn't photograph the register signing as they use a special ink which can't be photographed. The actual restriction is on making copies of the register book itself as it contains details of other people. There isn't actually a law which prevents photographing the signing itself and funnily enough there never seems to be any restrictions imposed on video.

I advise all couples to discuss photography in advance with the vicar/priest/registrar. The couple stand a much higher chance of being granted permission than the photographer does. Once I was told by a registrar I couldn't take any photographs as it would disturb the couple. Apparantly she seemed lost to the fact I'm working for the couple.

No comments: