Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Photography during civil ceremonies

As a documentary wedding photography it's my job to photograph as much of the day as possible and to tell the story in photographs. One of the most emotional parts of the day is the actual ceremony. It is also the part of the day most likely to have restrictions on photography and this is especially so with civil ceremonies. I always ask couples to check the restrictions on photography with the registrar before the day, unfortunately what they are told in advance and what I am told by the registrar on the day are often two different things. In some cases photography is banned altogether although the registrar might offer to "set it up later" which usually means a fake signing the register photograph. I had one recent wedding which consisted of the couple, their 3 children and two witnesses. The registrar told me I could not take photographs as it would distract the couple. I should mention two points here, 1) the couple had requested photographs 2) I am very discrete and stay in one place and I don't use flash. The registrar went on to say I could set it up later, but how exactly do you set up the emotional moment when the groom first sees the bride?

One of my photography friends, Duncan Kerridge, has set up a petition requesting professional photographers to be allowed to take photographs during civil ceremonies. There is no law preventing this, rather individual registrars can place the restrictions if they wish. The petition can be found at http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ceremonyphotos/

I should mention that not all registrars ban photography, many are very helpful and allow the photographer to discretely take photographs.


Photography was allowed during this ceremony which resulted in this lovely moment being captured.



Professional photography was not allowed in this ceremony. This photograph was sneaked from the back whilst the registrar was not looking so at least I had one photograph from the ceremony to allow continuity in the album.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally I think that sucks... You're doing our wedding on the 31st August this year and I really want photos during the ceremony.

Have you ever considered just standing at the back with a telephoto lens? I suppose it would depend on the venue, but if there was enough distance, the registrar probably wouldn't notice... ;)

Simon Atkins said...

Hi Andy. Yes I have considered using a long lens from the back, unfortunately the registrar has the power to stop the ceremony if they see you taking photographs when they have requested none. Out of respect for my clients I'm not going to do something that could cause a disruption to the ceremony. Usually all I can do is sneak a few discrete photographs from the back when they are not looking, the shutter on my camera is fairly quiet and nobody notices. I have also been known to photograph through an open door in the past in order to get at least a couple of photographs.

Last time I visited your venue I was told by the registrar I could not take any photographs, but after some persuasion (and reminding them I was allowed to take them last time I was at that venue) I was allowed to take a few from the back.

Jim Fryer said...

Can't agree more over this point. I shoot a similar style of weddings to Simon and recently have been plague by what only I can describe as 'militant' registrars. Some are helpful but many seem to have had a bad experience with other photographers and then restrict all the others. Early in my wedding photography days I came across one registrar who told me she would not allow any photography because it disturbed the couple and it was her duty to 'protect' them. This was despite the couple making it known that they wanted to be photographed during the ceremony. It caused some grief as the bride wanted pictures and got upset because she couldn't have them. The groom nearly went berserk because his wife to be was crying. In the end I just ignored the registrar and discreetly took pictures and my client was happy and relieved. Afterwards the groom reminded the registrar that she was a Civil Servant and was there to provide a service for which he had paid for. He was a Barrister, he complained to some higher authority and she went home with her tail between her legs.

I now insist that couples ask the registrar about photography when they first meet and on the day in question.